All research articles published in BNJ are fully open access: immediately freely available to read, download and share. Articles are published under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial CC BY-NC 4.0 allows others to remix, tweak, and build upon the authors' work non-commercially, and although the others' new works must also acknowledge the authors and be non-commercial, they don't have to license their derivative works on the same terms.
What is Open Access?
"By 'open access' to this literature, we mean its free availability on the public internet, permitting any users to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of these articles, crawl them for indexing, pass them as data to software, or use them for any other lawful purpose, without financial, legal, or technical barriers other than those inseparable from gaining access to the internet itself."
BNJ uses a Gold Open Access model. Publication is funded by a fee paid at the time of acceptance, usually by an author’s institution or funder. Author(s) retain copyright of their work, with articles licensed to BNJ. The vast majority of BNJ articles use the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial CC BY-NC 4.0.
Open Access provides a sustainable funding model for scientific communications while ensuring the widest possible access to research. Open Access makes research available to new audiences, readers without the funds or institutional support to cover expensive subscriptions. Open Access allows readers to use articles and data in new ways, including practices like meta-analysis and text mining, which reveal trends in science that would not be obvious at the level of individual articles. Ultimately, Open Access accelerates the pace of research by removing barriers to collaboration.
Non-Commercial Permission Requests
For the vast majority of articles in BNJ, you do not need to seek permission from BNJ for reuse. The copyright of most articles remains with the authors, who have chosen to make the articles available for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial CC BY-NC 4.0. This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon the authors' work non-commercially, and although the others' new works must also acknowledge the authors and be non-commercial, they don't have to license their derivative works on the same terms.
Use by Commercial "For-Profit" Organizations
Use of BNJ articles for commercial, promotional, or marketing purposes requires further explicit permission from the publisher, Belitung Raya Foundation, and will be subject to a fee. Commercial purposes include:
- Copying or downloading of articles, or linking to such articles for further redistribution, sale, or licensing;
- Copying, downloading, or posting by a site or service that incorporates advertising with such content;
- The inclusion or incorporation of article content in other works or services (other than normal quotations with an appropriate citation) that is then available for sale or licensing, for a fee (for example, a compilation produced for marketing purposes, inclusion in a sales pack);
- Use of article content (other than normal quotations with appropriate citation) by for-profit organizations for promotional purposes;
- Linking to article content in e-mail messages redistributed for promotional, marketing, or educational purposes;
- Use for the purposes of monetary reward by means of sale, resale, license, loan, transfer, or other form of commercial exploitation such as marketing products.
Commercial Permission Requests
For inquiries related to reusing BNJ content for commercial purposes please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Note for AUTHORS
If you wish to reuse your own article (or an amended version of it) in a new publication of which you are the author, editor or co-editor, prior permission is not required (with the usual acknowledgements).
Teaching institutions may make multiple copies for teaching purposes, without charge, provided such copies are not resold or copied.